Southeast survives Andover Central comeback for OT win

Published: Jan. 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Southeast jumped out to a start you don't often see at the high school level only to be forced to come back late.

In what has to be a game of the year candidate in the Wichita area, the Buffaloes scored 30 points in under seven minutes to start the game, a stretch that included a 17-0 run to open up an early 21-5 lead. That lead grew to 30-12 before quarter closed, but then it slowly faded away.

For the next 6+ minutes, Southeast connected on just one shot, a Jackie Johnson jumper to open the second quarter as Andover Central closed the gap to single digits.

In the third quarter, playing without star junior Xavier Bell who was marred by foul trouble, the Jaguars continued to chip away at the Buffalo lead. Seniors Easton Leedom and Braden Belt lead the charge to cut the lead to 59-53 with 8 minutes to play.

Then with Bell back in the game, Central opened the fourth quarter on an 8-2 run to tie the game up at 61 midway through the quarter, erasing the 18 point deficit completely.

Central would take the lead, hitting a bucket with 50 seconds to play to extend the lead to 69-66, until Jackie Johnson happened.

Spotting up from beyond NBA range, Johnson drilled a three ball to tie the game at 69 with 40 seconds to play. Central couldn't answer and the game went to overtime.

In the extra period, momentum stayed on Southeast's side with Micah Jaques and Johnny Murdock hitting back to back layups and the Buffaloes hitting free throws to end it. Southeast outscored Central 13-3 in overtime to come away with a tough 82-72 road win in the GWAL/AVCTL Challenge.

Johnson lead all scorers with 34 while Jaques added 29 for Southeast. Leedom lead the way for Andover Central scoring 28 with Belt adding 18.

Southeast will prepare for the Topeka Invitational next week while Central readies for a back-to-back, hosting Valley Center Friday night.

Latest News

Latest News